The goal of the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee is to promote diversity within AWAC as well as across WAC more broadly.
- Consider diversity, equity, and inclusion along the lines of: demographics/identity, institutional type, disciplinary backgrounds, institutional roles, language;
- Keep all AWAC committees and efforts accountable on issues surrounding DEI;
- Amplify voices that enrich conversations and inform decision-making explicitly through DEI lenses;
- Be attentive of who the AWAC is for and the various (and variety of) stakeholders;
- Identify challenges and strengths in achieving sustainable efforts to promote diversity within AWAC membership.
- Identify what has been working so far to build or maintain DEI in the organization and the WAC/WID community;
- Include explicitly in each committee’s annual report accountability of DEI efforts, especially in terms of how the DEI work is integrated as core than peripheral work;
- Involve various (and a variety of) stakeholders in leadership and key support roles within in the conference;
- Make language in the organization, community, conferences, journals more accessible to a wider audience and participants by removing or limiting jargon.
Cristyn L. Elder
Regina McManigell Grijalva
Kathleen Turner Ledgerwood