Purpose and Agenda
The Institute’s primary goal is to assist new and prospective leaders of WAC/WID or similar initiatives in the US and internationally at planning and developing their programs. The Institute also supports experienced directors who face new challenges or wish to expand, update, or revitalize their programs. The Institute agenda will include workshops on understanding, planning, developing, and leading WAC/WID programs, as well as small group meetings that provide mentoring and networking opportunities.
Chris Anson (North Carolina State University) and Cristyn Elder (University of New Mexico) will be the lead facilitators, with others to be announced soon.
While budget numbers are still in flux, we expect the registration PLUS hotel for this event will total between $800 and $900 dollars per participant. This price includes participation in the three-day institute; daily breakfast, lunch, and snacks/coffee; and three hotel nights. Wednesday evening is an optional reception, and Saturday will be a half-day with options for one-on-one consultations in the afternoon.
Registration will open on August 8; we will advertise the exact date and time in advance. Those who were originally registered for the 2020 WACSI will receive first priority, and then registration and a waitlist will open to others. Registration will cap at 30 participants.
After this special Fall institute, we plan to hold the Institute every summer, coinciding with the IWAC Conference biennially and as a freestanding even at different locations in the IWAC off-years.
- Current Lead Facilitator: Chris Anson, North Carolina State University
- Incoming Lead Facilitator & Local Host: Cristyn Elder, University of New Mexico
- Outgoing Lead Facilitator: Jeff Galin, Florida Atlantic University
- Planning Member: Teresa Redd, Howard University
- Planning Member: Rebecca Nowacek, Marquette University
- Planning Member: Genevieve García de Müeller, Syracuse University
- Current Chair: Alisa Russell, Wake Forest University
- Outgoing Chair: Terry Zawacki, George Mason University
Contact AWACSummerInstitute@gmail.com for more information.